Saturday, February 22, 2014

Wooden Spoons

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Hi Everyone,
Im having some technical difficulties with the coffee scoop at the moment so Im going to work on a different project today--wooden spoons.

Ive been asked by a buddy of mine to make her some wooden spoons for her kitchen. She and her husband cook a lot and shes asked me to make some tasting spoons. Ive never heard of this type of spoon (being the big peasant that I basically am, I just use what ever spoon happens to be laying around when Im cooking) so I looked on the Internet and found that these are spoons with a very long handle and a small bowl on the end. The ones that I saw appear to be flat and as most spoons are contoured somewhat (and rather elegant looking if done well) I suspect that these spoons are simply cut from a straight piece of lumber. I checked with my friend and this is what she wants so away we go...

My friend would like 3 spoons so Ive gathered up some of my usable scrap lumber and Ive sawed out three blanks: mahogany, maple, and cherry wood and Im going to put these on the lathe and turn out the handles and then cut the bowls by hand:


I drew a line down the center and sketched out a spoon on each of them and then placed the cherry blank on the lathe between centers:


And turned on the lathe. You can see a dark line towards the left. I drew that there to keep me from cutting into the bowl section:


Here is a photo after the handle has been turned down:


Ive shaped the handle even more and added a little detail:


Heres a closeup of the handle:


I finished this by sanding it with 100 and 150 grit sandpaper. As these are going to be used and washed, the grain will eventually raise and the spoons will have a rough surface so theres no point in sanding it to a high finish.

Ive done the same thing with the other two spoons:


The handles look a little too wide for the width of the bowl so esthetically speaking, theyre not going to be winning any awards. But they are very strong and will last a very long time. And I like the mahogany one.

The bowls have to be hand carved. The top will be scooped out and the bottom will be rounded. And Ill admit--I had to have a dental biopsy today and the novacaine is wearing off so it will be nice to go upstairs  and get off my feet and carve for a while. So go sit down and Ill get a cup of coffee and go and get some ibuprofen and Ill be right back...

Ok, Im back.

There is a company called FlexCut and they make terrific carving knives. Im going to be using there large, roughing knife for the outside of the bowl:


Ill work on the mahogany one first. Mahogany is one of the softer hardwoods and a joy to work with in any capacity-carving, turning, or general wood working. Here is the back of the spoon:


Here is a photo after about 10 minutes of gentle carving:



ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!


And here is the last photo for the time being:


Ive rounded off the back and the sides and Im going to stop for now. My eye-hand coordination is a little off today and I dont want to cut off a finger. And I need to leave enough wood for tomorrows hollowing out.

Im going to go and finish my coffee and tomorrow Ill finish the spoons and work on the coffee scoop some more. Also the walnut bowls and the black ash-Brazilian cherry bowls are in their final finishing stages so Ill have photos of those tomorrow too.

See you then,
VW
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

0 comments:

Post a Comment